Pages

Friday 6 March 2015

Life Changes

Life changes. Technically I could leave the post at just those two words and I would be making my point. However, as this is a blog and not Twitter/Facebook, I should probably elaborate.

Right now I'm sitting somewhere where sat a year ago and the year before that and the year before that. I am sitting at a Fellowship programme that I am privileged to be a part of.

Now, before you ask....but what are you doing at a conference when you just had surgery last week, it can't be that bad then, right? Well, let me explain.

This programme is directed towards improving the health professions education arena in Sub-Saharan Africa. It is a programme of like-minded health professionals who are all passionate about creating a group of educators who strive to ensure that healthcare on the continent is improved by improving the education of those who will one day provide said healthcare. The organising and facilitating group, of which I am blessed to be called a part of, are my friends, close colleagues and for some of them, my career mentors. They understand what I'm going through (to a degree) and support me by allowing me to find the joy I need in participating, albeit minimally, this year while also resting when needed.

With that explanation out of the way, let me tell you why I am so taken aback by how much life changes.

As little as 1 year ago, I was here, and loved it. I was energised. I was excited and excitable. I was driven by my passion for the cause as well as my passion for my work. I love(d) my job. I love(d) the opportunities I was presented with to help others see their potential. I was busy working on my PhD proposal, managing work matters in the evenings, calling my family at home while missing them like crazy, taking walks in the evening when the sessions for the day were done and visiting with friends.

This year, I'm recovering from surgery, though the majority of the surgery pain has gone. I am in pain, my "normal" pain, but pain nonetheless. I am tired. I participate where I can, sleep when I need to and run out of the room when I have an attack. I can't handle the 1866 emails in my work inbox and can barely handle the whatsapp messages when they come through. I struggled to walk up and down the stairs today when the vibration of my steps once again caused attacks. Even if I had a car here, I can't drive, I haven't been able to in almost 1 year. This year, I am glad to be here, just to give my family a break. I needed to give them a break from me, and that breaks my heart. I'm glad to be here to get some of the passion and energy I need, even if it's in short bursts. I am happy to be here where I am still able to say - Screw you, TN, you can't take this away from me too.

I know when I leave here next week, it will be to another doctors' appointment where they will discuss the plans to give me glycerol injections into my skull to provide temporary pain relief. I also know that it will not be the last visit or the last option they present me with.

I can't look forward to going out to a park for the last of the summer with my girls, because it's too windy and even my scarf isn't enough protection against the pain of the wind most days, anymore. I can't look forward to getting back to work because most weeks, I am only able to cope for 1 full day at work. I am slowly, but surely, running out of spoons because I'm using up, not just the ones I need for tomorrow, but those for next week, next month, etc. etc.

So yes, I could have just said, Life Changes.
But really, could it have meant what I just said?

Life changes, enjoy every single pleasure, fear, joy, hope, sadness, excitement - filled moment. One day it may change for good.


There's an elephant on my face by Lianne Keiller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment