Pages

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Awareness

Today is the second international trigeminal neuralgia awareness day and I've been posting on Facebook to raise awareness. The response has been amazing from friends and acquaintances but I doubt that those who have not felt this pain can ever truly understand it. For the past few days I've had shocks without any trigger. I think I'd be able to handle it if it was still just on the left side, but no, I now have pain on both sides and last night had the torture of a bilateral attack. It hurts more to think that I can't do something as simple as go for a picnic with my family without becoming anxious that I'll have excruciating pain. It hurts inside to know that my family has to deal with this and that just a kiss on the cheek from my girls can feel like a knife cutting in to me.
And so, with the awareness day alerting those around me to this horrible disease, I come to the realisation that I'll be aware of it 24/7 for the rest of my life.... And that hurts, hurts deep in my soul. It's a hurt I can't fully describe without screaming and crying. But I can't, because a tear is the equivalent of an electric shock.
Creative Commons License
There's an elephant on my face by Lianne Keiller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment